My very first job was at the McDonald’s on Osborne St. in Pacoima, CA. It was 1963 and I’m pretty sure the minimum wage at the time was $1.05. My first two days were spent making shakes; the next day I made fries.
Then they discovered I had experience with a cash register and could make change!! I moved to the window and the rest is history.
A few distinct memories, in no particular order:
- There were people who ate both lunch and dinner – every day – at McDonald’s (I don’t believe we served breakfast at the time).
- We had a basement and a machine, similar to the one lapidarists use to polish stones, that we used to peel potatoes. The fries were made fresh back then.
- The Manager spent the vast majority of his energy tweaking the syrup/water mix for the soft drinks so “he” could save more money.
- I used to have nightmares where I faced an endless line of people who ate nothing but that crap (and I knew it was crap back then, but I was already inured to its ubiquity) for every meal.
- There were invariably bugs in the boxes of hamburger buns.
Hope you enjoy your next McMeal. 😉